Permanent Residence for Caregivers – Open for Applications!

Author: Mock Webware |

The Home Child Care Provider Pilot and Home Support Worker Pilot programs were introduced by the government of Canada in June 2019. These pilot programs let qualified caregivers and their family members come to Canada with the goal of becoming permanent residents. The application process is different depending on how much qualifying work experience the caregiver has:

  • no qualifying work experience in Canada;
  • less than 24 months of qualifying work experience; or
  • 24 months or more of qualifying work experience.

In general, you must:

  • have a genuine and valid job offer (no LMIA required!)
  • be able to do the job
  • meet the language level of CLB 5 in English or French
  • have completed post-secondary education credential of at least 1 year
  • be admissible to Canada , and
  • plan to live outside the province of Quebec as a permanent resident

Under these pilot programs, caregivers receive occupation-specific (rather than employer-specific) work permits, and employers no longer need to obtain a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) before issuing a job offer. Both pilot programs offer a direct path for permanent residence — once caregivers have met the work experience requirement, they can become permanent residents quickly.

Contact us to see if you are eligible to apply for the new caregiver pilot programs!

Read More Blog Articles